Thursday, February 11, 2010

Error 1021 cannot create registry key when installing VMWare 7.0.1 on Win7

All sorts of stuff on the net about "set US locale" and "install with -L English" none of which worked for me.
I'd previously run VMWare off another disk without it being installed; it clearly created a registry entry which caused problems with subsequent install of full app.

Solution:
Use regedit to delete the key /HKLM/SOFTWARE/{Wow6432Node}/VMware,Inc.
You'll only have the Wow.. stuff if you're running on 64 bit.
Once this key is gone the installer worked (for me).

I did have it set in 'run as administrator' and 'run in vista compatibility mode' also, but I don't think that's what fixed it.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude Thanks It worked Deleting the File in the Regedgt thing GJ

Dr.Tune said...

Pleasure. Nice to know even one person has saved the time I wasted on that issue ;-)

Unknown said...

thank a lot, i have fixed it, windows 64 bit's troublesome

Dr.Tune said...

Thanks for leaving "THX!" comments btw, it does encourage me to come write these when I find a nasty. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Worked a treat, thanks. Other posts said to use regscanner but that didn't find the key you mentioned here.

Abhishek Soni said...

i love you

Abhishek said...

I love you

霜狼 said...

thank you it helps me alot

Anonymous said...

it worked thanks

Oliver said...

works on windows 8 - thx sooo much!

Anonymous said...

Another success. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Was having this issue on a fresh install of Win 7 x64. Happening in VMware 8 and 9. Removing that regkey did the trick. Thank you so much!

jeromelenain said...

thx a lot !!!

Unknown said...

Thank you great blitter! You guys are doing a great service here in the internet! more service than the companies! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot bro blitter! you are a great service more than the companies. I'll contribute if i have the time and opportunity.

Unknown said...

Thanks. Ill contribute if i have time